Built in the 1920s for banker-industrialist Otto Petschek, this mansion became the Ambassador's residence in 1948. A sophisticated yet economical mix of repair, replacement, updates, and new systems enable the historic building to support the private and public functions and ceremonies demanded of an ambassador’s residence while providing the communications and security features of a modern American diplomatic facility.
With strategic phasing, sophisticated decorative exterior stucco, stonework, and terracing were made whole, and building, kitchen, and catering systems that were still largely original were redesigned.
Prior to construction, experts conducted a trial disassembly of wall finishes to minimize impact on the highly decorative surfaces of French silk, plasterwork, or boiserie that would continue to conceal all new building systems.
- 50,000 SF renovation
- Secretary of State’s Register of Culturally Significant Properties
Upgrading a Historic Building
Listed on the Secretary of State’s Register of Culturally Significant Properties, this historic residence needed to provide modern access and conveniences while fully respecting the historic character.Historic Preservation
More Projects Like This
More Projects like this 2
US Department of State
Design diplomacy sensitively balances security and sustainability.