The Washington Navy Yard recently reclaimed a piece of its illustrious past with the restoration of the Watch Box, a small, wood-framed Victorian building that served as a sentry post beginning in the 1850s. President Abraham Lincoln visited the Navy Yard late in the day on April 14, 1865, most likely making the Watch Box one of his last official stops before his fateful visit to Ford's Theatre that evening.
A complex relocation and restoration effort has returned the guard house to its original site, so that it can help educate visitors about the Civil War. We partnered with the Navy and Summit Construction to coordinate the complex transport.
Nearly 150 years after President Abraham Lincoln came to the Washington Navy Yard to visit his friend, Yard Commander Rear Adm. John Dahlgren, the same Watch Box he passed through and checked in at was returned to the Navy Yard, April 16.
With support from Naval Facilities Engineering Command (NAVFAC) Washington, the historic Watch Box, originally built in 1853-1854, was moved back to the Navy Yard after spending more than 100 years at Naval Support Facilities (NSF) Indian Head.
The Gaertner Performing Arts Center has recently won some high praise for Sam Houston State University. As reported in "Gaertner Performing Arts Center a source of pride for SHSU", The Huntsville Item highlights that the facility is helping to attract some of the best faculty and students through its high-quality facility. In fact, according to College Degree Search, the Gaertner Performing Arts Center is considered the 13th most amazing art center in the United States, ranking it among prestigious centers at much larger universities.
The Franklin D. Roosevelt Presidential Library's first upgrade since its 1939 construction included several elements not usually encountered on such projects. The two-phase, $23.6-million gut renovation required an exceptional level of care for such procedures as dust control to safeguard the more than 15,000 historical artifacts.
Learn more here.