Chartered in 1693, the second-oldest college in the United States is a top-ranked public research university whose historic campus is restored to its 18th century appearance. William & Mary envisioned the third phase of the ISC as an important step toward advancing its science facilities. The guiding principles of this project included the creation of an interconnected and truly integrated science complex; the promotion of cross-disciplinary research; and the strategic grouping of departments and activities for optimal adjacencies.
To achieve these goals, the design team led a series of four departmental and group work sessions with W&M faculty, researchers, administration and other stakeholders to define and clarify the critical issues, strategic project drivers, key concerns, opportunities and desired outcomes. The resulting design supports a unified approach to teaching and research and long-term flexibility with reconfigurable laboratory spaces and promotes intellectual community by emphasizing faculty-to-faculty interaction. Energy analysis and sustainability strategies aggressively reduce energy consumption.
113,000 GSF new
162,000 GSF modernization
Keystone of the Sciences
The ISC III forms the third side of a triangle with two existing science buildings to create an interconnected, cross-disciplinary complex. The design of the facade reinterprets the Colonial Georgian vernacular of the historic campus. The main entrance is distinguished by multi-story Palladian windows set into a curve to engage a major intersection.Advancing Mission Modernization
More Projects Like This
An academic "town square" puts science and sustainability on display.
With its dynamic curves, green roofs, and outdoor gathering spaces, this LEED Gold design resolves the dynamic tension between the grid of the campus plan and the adjacent wetlands.